I'm concerned that this property does not actually do what we think it is doing. "ignore" is used because there were problems using the "eol" string in the flat property files. Anyways this forces the checkstyle parser to require all operators to be at the end of the lines vs beginning of lines. There is no way to ignore if its at the end or beginning of the line.

Most autoformaters (Eclipse in my case) format according the checkstyle spec such that all operators fall at the beginnings (I don't see a way to change this in Eclipse at least). I suspect it covers more IDE cases to have this set property removed so it defaults to the beginning of the line.

-Mark