On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> Codec is integrated with the build.  Just uncomment the report in
> project.xml.  (But, at least from what I can tell from my own experience
> and from Maven's JIRA issues - the Clover plugin is somewhat unstable)

You mean Clover? :)

> But, I had removed it because there was no good way for up to share a
> licensed Codec binary with everyone who needed it.  There is a licensed Clover
> binary in my home directory on Icarus.  Any
> other commmitter who wants to run clover on codec can obtain those
> binaries from ~tobrien.

Yeah. How to integrate either commercial tools like Clover, or GPL tools
like JDiff, is something that confuses me at the moment. We could have a
separate project.xml/project.properties or a build.xml, but I'm not sure
that would work easily.

> Now, here's some philosophy.  Clover is a great tool, but, it isn't free
> or open source.  I worry that the ASF makes a mistake when it starts to
> rely on proprietary utilities such as Clover and JIRA.  I'm not sure if a
> good discussion has been started on the subject.

I believe in supporting commercial tools which provide open source
projects with a good deal. If an open source variant with competable
features [and a usable licence] exists, then it's the better choice.

S'my philosophy :)

Hen