Gary Gregory wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Yandell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 19:27
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: UUID Reuse proposal

Something else to line up for 2.1/3.0?

+1, sounds good.

Gary

I agree. I also agree with Gary that a new package probably does not make sense.

From a quick look at http://www.opengroup.org/dce/info/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt, it looks to me, btw that this essentially *is* the MS GUID. It will be interesting to see how they get the MAC address or if they punt that and use random bits (giving up the real "G"). In any case, I am sure that this will make a useful addition to lang.

Phil

--

Hen

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Gary Gregory wrote:

+1.

Another UUID extension I'd like to see and use is a GUID implementation,
that's what MS calls a UUID.

WRT to lang.uuid, I am not sure that a new namespace is justified

though.

I'd just put it in .lang like other "basic" types.

gg