Here's a thought.  One thing we might do to limit the proliferation of
jars is to create a jar containing commons-math as all of its
dependencies.  Maven has an uberjar plugin that might be the ticket to
creating such a jar.  There ares risk with deploying such a jar as
there might be version conflicts if other versions of the dependencies
are deployed separately.  I'm not a big advocate of this strategy
(I've had to many struggles working with products that came bundled
with old version of xerces) but it might be to quell some of the
dependency backlash.

I think this is a great idea. [math] could release both commons-math.jar and commons-math-deps.jar (or something similar). This may be an easy way to get rid of the "too many jars" situation.

It seems that the primary complainers are people who aren't used to dealing with dependencies for other projects. Because of this, I don't think there will be many conflicts with the dependencies included with the main [math] jar.

The others, who are accustomed to managing dependencies for the other commons projects that they use, will most likely just grab commons-math.jar and insert it into their environment. For example, if I were to start using [math], I probably would already have all of the dependencies in my environment already. collections, lang, and beanutils always find a way to work themselves into my projects. ;)