On 11 Nov 2003, at 23:07, Ryan Hoegg wrote:

The other responses were well written and fairly complete in discussing JAXB, Digester, and Castor.

XMLBeans I think has been under-represented, but unfortunately I know little about it except that it was recently donated to Apache by BEA.

xml-beans is a fast, generative start-from-xml mapper. it contains many innovations. it generates from xml schema (rather than DTDs) which includes advanced validation.

i'd encourage anyone interested in this problem to subscribe to the xml beans and contribute. it's an exciting time since the ASF version will be a complete rewrite and there's the chance to get involved from the start. i know that they're look for developers.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is Betwixt, which is very straightforward for bean <-> XML mapping. I got up to speed on it and successfully used it with my code in under 4 hours.

(as a developer of betwixt) i'd like to remind people not to get their hopes up too much. it's *very* un-complete.

what would be pretty exciting is being able to mix start-from-java with start-from-xml. xml-beans will hopefully be looking at this providing that their are enough developers who are interested in writing the code :)

- robert