On 12 Nov 2003, at 12:30, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 06:51 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
On 11 Nov 2003, at 12:47, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

<snip>

2) I have a feeling that no one would utter a peep if someone did some GUI extensions to a project here at Jakarta. We've always been willing to stretch the meaning of our charter (hence POI), and if it really came to be a problem, I think we would try to work it out.

there seem to be a lot of senior apache members who don't agree with that. i'd rather act to try to start sorting things out before whilst the jakarta community still has a say.

You're notion of sorting it out seems to be "remove from Jakarta community". That may be what the people involved want to do, which is fine by me, but if they want to stay, it behooves us on the PMC to try and see what we can do to help them out.

i'd be happy if someone wanted to approach the board requesting a change to the charter but whilst the charter existing in it's current form, i think we need to abide by it.

IMO if math wants to stay here in the jakarta-commons and be managed by the jakarta pmc then the community needs to understand the limitations. i haven't been as involved with math as i'd have liked to have been (or as much as i'd intended when i planted the seed) but seems to have come through some difficult times to emerge as a very healthy community. i've tried to outline the future issues that i think are approaching for the community and offered a solution. i think that a move to apache commons would be a very positive step for math.

in general terms, (i might be wrong but) the impression created on the community list was that the decision had already been taken at the ASF level a long time ago to sort out jakarta by reducing it's management responsibilities. the jakarta pmc has taken a *lot* of flak about it's failure to persuade more sub-projects to move.

- robert