Oh, and by the way, the method signature would probably look like this:

public String append(String base, String suffix){...}
public String prepend(String base, String prefix){...}

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Hudak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 16:48
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [lang] new functionality in StringUtils and ArrayUtils -
prop osal 01

The ideas of 'flank' and 'lead' are better suggested through the use of the
terms "append" and "prepend".

When you 'flank' "abc" with "def" you are appending the string "abc" with
"def"
StringUtils.append("abc", "def"); //-->"abcdef"

When you 'lead' "abc" with "def" you are prepending the string "def" to
"abc"
StringUtils.prepend("abc", "def"); //-->"defabc"