"public Object getObject(int i,
                        Map map)
                 throws SQLException"

Doe's somebody tried to use this method ? I am not sure, but looks like it
can be driver specific.
It is trivial to implement converters. It can be something like this:

//delegates convertion for driver

 Object getObject( ResultSet rs, int col, int jdbcType ){

     switch(){
      case Types.INT :
        return new Integer(rs.getInt(col));
   }
}
and

int  []  toJdbcTypes( PropertyDescriptors [] props  ) {

  int [] result = new int[propTypes.length];

  for( int i= 0, len = propTypes.length; i < len; i++ ){

       Integer type =  (Integer)classToJdbcMap.get(props[i].getType());
       if(type == null){
         throw new Exception("register mapping for " + props[i].getType());
       }
       result[i] = type.intValue();

 }

}

This kind of implementation must be performant.