non-binding +1 on IterableMap

It is longer, but Map2 is painful.

-Brian

On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 04:22 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

There is no obvious 'standard' to follow here, other than adding '2' to the
end (LayoutManager2). But even Sun tends to use descriptive alternate names
a lot of the time (Map to replace Dictionary etc.)

I'll probably change it to IterableMap unless anyone has better ideas.

Stephen

----- Original Message -----
From: "__matthewHawthorne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
I can think of various possible names:
 Map2 - follows Sun naming standards for replacing interfaces
 MapA - similar idea, but doesn't clash if Sun ever creates Map2
 AMap - similar idea but reversed (A is for Apache)
 IMap - similar idea, but I is for interface
 IterableMap - the long name

If people favour IterableMap, then thats fine. I was looking for
something
short to indicate that this should be a general replacement to using
Map.
Maybe IterableMap is clearer though

Naming opinions please?

I like IterableMap, but I can also see why you wanted a short name.

What about XMap or MapX, to indicate a "Map extension", like the javax.*
packages?

Similarly, HashMapX and XHashMap could be used instead of HashedMap.

It's kind of a strange situation, but it would be nice to come up with a
nice naming standard for classes which can replace their JDK
counterparts. Any other suggestions?