>From a licensing perspective, it would be easier
base any commons version on the axis implementation.
The tyrex implementation, while more complete, is
licensed under the Exolab license, and therefore
cannot be hosted in ASF CVS (unless it is donated).

Also note that the latest draft UUID spec is located
here: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-01.txt

-Tim

g/apache/commons/lang/util/
is a natural place for the UUID generator.  I suggest that we replace the
"util" name with "identifier" and add the UUID generator implementation to
this package, either as an addition to IdentifierUtils or as a separate
implementation.

Phil