Phil Steitz wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Are the identifiers ever not unique?
> Sometimes not guaranteed.  The "serial" identifiers can be set up to
> wrap, for example.

My view is that if you consider UID to be a misnomer, rename it.  Otherwise
keep it.  The term uid has an immediate meaning to most programmers that see
it.  They could make the mistake of thinking it means UserID, but that would
be quickly corrected looking at it.  I don't know if "identifier" will have
the same immediate meaning.  If/when we deploy an ontology-based portal, it
could be interesting.

        --- Noel