--- Stephen Colebourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: "Phil Steitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> (calling
> just
> all
> should
> (unless
> > >
> > > This impl will work, but I would prefer to see the case of the key
> > > maintained, just the comparison to be case insensitive.
> >
> > Why exactly?  Would you expect equals to distinguish
> > CaseInsensitiveHashMaps that differ only on key case?
>
> Well CaseInsensitive as a name doesn't imply to me that it changes
> anything.
> It implies that is compares insenstively (including equals, which should
> be
> handled). This map would be a LowerCaseKeyMap or some such.
>
> It strikes me that if I put a key in one way, I should get it back that
> way
> too.

It's not a big deal to me whether or not the keys are permanently lower
cased but your reasons for not doing so are sound.

> BTW: the names now exclude 'Hash' as much as possible, hence it would be
> CaseInsensitiveMap

Just out of curiosity, why are you leaving Hash out of the names?  The
Java idiom seems to be to indicate a collection's implementation in the
name.  Even the standard WeakHashMap maintains the "Hash" portion of the
name.  I'm not particularly tied to CaseInsensitiveHashMap but I chose
that name based on current Java practices.

David