You've got some interesting ideas there. However, I still believe that the majority of use-cases will involve quick calls to the static methods in XxxUtils classes, so it makes sense for that to remain the default implementation style.

The ability to use specialized execution types, cancellation, and status reporting appears useful, especially for large IO operations -- for example, an IDE would possibly want to use some of these features when copying a large file tree.

So, I'll give others a chance to chime in, but overall I think your ideas are good ones. Not as a replacement to the current static-based API, but as additions.

Alban Peignier wrote:
Hi,

For a long time, I wondered how to improve the support of the long
operations provided by the Utils classes (file copies, listing, deletion,
....).
The IO Operations are a proposal to the Commons IO project to provide a
API to   support long IO operations with several features (progress and
status monitoring, canceling, error handling, etc ...).
I began a draft implementation. The API Javadoc and sources are available.
 For more details, see this WikiPage
http://wiki.tryphon.org/JavaWiki/IOOperation.
I hope some people will find something useful in this design ;o)