On 16 Feb 2004, at 21:33, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

I'm not sure how your "named stacks" idea differs from this. Can you
describe how it would be used?

the idea is that rather than having just a single object stored for each name, stacks (identified by name) are used instead. this allows nested rules to push and pop in additional to allowing flat rules to communicate by using a single object on the stack.

you'd have signatures something like:

void push(String stackName, Object value)
Object peek(String stackName)
Object pop(String stackName)

this is a more general form which includes the functionality of the hash map (rules just use a one-deep stack) but also allows more complex communication.

And sorry, but I didn't understand your suggestion about "partial
mapping" at all!

maybe i'll explain it better some other time. (it's a little involved.)

NB: I still think that a Digester 1.6 release should come before new
work like this. There's no reason a Digester 1.7 couldn't be done on a
much shorter cycle than the last one.

i agree

- robert