Using the '.txt' extension is acceptable.  I broached the subject
with Roy T. Fielding (co-author of the apply-license document)
and he clarified the position.

-John K

On 18 Feb 2004, at 09:22, Henri Yandell wrote:

bear in mind the maven system is looking for LICENSE.txt I believe, so it'll need changing to see LICENSE instead. Hopefully not work.

We also ought to have the NOTICE.txt be included in it somehow, possibly
through some custom maven.xml'ing on the license report.

Hen