On 23 Feb 2004, at 13:32, David Graham wrote:
--- "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

Grumble grumble ... this is not technically possible without breaking
backwards
compatibility on the public APIs. We should have caught the fact that
PropertyUtils.getMappedDescriptors() returns FastHashMap instead of Map.

Unless someone has bright ideas on how to fix this, I think we're stuck
with a
commons-collections dependency.

Can't we just do the normal deprecate, replace, remove cycle? Add
versions of those methods that return a generic Map and deprecate the
FastHashMap versions. We can't remove the dependency in this release but
we can after deprecating.

i'd probably like to review all the interfaces before another release so that we can make sure that the abstractions are right before freezing them. this could be part of that process. i'm making good progress with betwixt so maybe we could start this process sometime soonish.

i'd like to move towards a collections-free beanutils even it can't all be done at once. i'd definitely like to move the classes which implement collection interfaces into an optional build even if we can't remove the dependency until a future version.

- robert