I don't know why you get this exceptions, but why don't you just put your module-descriptor in src/META-INF/hivemodule.xml. And than call
Registry reg = RegistryBuilder.constructDefaultRegistry(). This will take all the META-INF/hivemodule.xml which are on the classpath - wheter jared or not.

Apart of this my JUnit tests generally extend from org.apache.hivemind.test.HiveMindTestCase. It has a number of convienience methods one of which is buildFrameworkRegistry(), which also loads like above the hivemodules in META-INF, but for which you can additional specify module-descriptors which are located anywhere in the class-path.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Chris