Well I have some interesting numbers, to say the least.

Saying that comparing CharSet to CharUtils make CharSet look bad is an
understatement. Obviously there is room for improvement there.

What is more interesting albeit tangential, is the performace
improvement from Sun 1.3.1_10 to 1.4.2_04, and even more dramatic within
1.4.2_04, between the client and server VMs.

I've saved the CharUtilsPerfTest class in CVS for those of you who'd
care to track this issue.

Now: Thu Mar 18 14:29:48 PST 2004
Sun Microsystems Inc. Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
1.3.1_10-b03
Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.3.1_10-b03
Windows XP 5.1 x86 pentium i486 i386
Do nohting: 0 milliseconds.
run_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 4,545 milliseconds.
run_inlined_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 3,417 milliseconds.
run_inlined_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 85,679 milliseconds.

Now: Thu Mar 18 14:24:51 PST 2004
Sun Microsystems Inc. Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
1.4.2_04-b05
Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.4.2_04-b05
Windows XP 5.1 x86 pentium i486 i386
Do nohting: 0 milliseconds.
run_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 2,578 milliseconds.
run_inlined_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 2,477 milliseconds.
run_inlined_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 114,429 milliseconds.

Now: Thu Mar 18 14:27:55 PST 2004
Sun Microsystems Inc. Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
1.4.2_04-b05
Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM 1.4.2_04-b05
Windows XP 5.1 x86 pentium i486 i386
Do nohting: 0 milliseconds.
run_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 630 milliseconds.
run_inlined_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 709 milliseconds.
run_inlined_CharUtils_isAsciiNumeric: 84,420 milliseconds.

Gary