I cannot say that I am in favor of this change for several reasons.

(1) No performance benchmarks. This sounds like a "thought"
optimization.

(2) If the classes do take some amount of time T longer load, so what?
Context is what matters, for instance, for the example I know best, my
company's app server, if the server takes 20 seconds or 20+T (=?)
seconds to start, no one cares. Our customers leave the server running
for days or have policies whereby servers are rebooted every night.
Oddly enough though, some folks look at our lib directory and count
bytes and say things like "this is so big and there are so may jars,
blah blah". So doubling the size of all commons jar files is not going
to win us any fans. But that's just my case.

Gary

Since
> > we use Maven primarily to produce builds now in the Commons, I think
we
> > should look into if this can be configured in Maven so that all
Commons

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/solaris/jar.html

> > > Thanks.
> > > Wolfgang.