On 24 Mar 2004, at 00:10, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

<snip>

As a general rule, people shouldn't be manipulating /home/cvs directly. As
soon as we migrate to Subversion the problems will go away.

+1

it's important that the ASF has a complete, unadulterated record of how each artifact has been created. so, directories and files which are no longer used should be removed using cvs (rather than being deleted from the server).

AIUI the infrastructure policy is that committers should not be directly modifying the structure of our repositories. (this extends even to deleting old lock files.) the right way is to ask infrastructure to perform the operation. there is now a system of rotating administrators so these requests should be serviced much more promptly than in the past.

- robert