Mark R. Diggory wrote:
Lets push this to another thread because its such a great topic in and of itself.

So I think we have several needs here:

1.) nightly builds of jars that can be available to developers

2.) Integration testing across all the commons

3.) Automated Site updating/generation.

All great ideas. We have 1) now via the commons nightly build process and 2) is largely in place via the jakarta-commons gump module (though it uses ant and does not include all projects). Item 3) would be a *big* advantage and would eliminate the need for ssh access to update the site. It might also solve another open problem that we have in terms of site recoverability.

A while back there was discussion of a "staging / build" server where we could build a pre-image of the production web site (so the current site would be always be recoverable without having to rebuild everything). If the "clean environment" that Adam refers to below could be that server (or could push to that server on success) and we could use rsynch (as I think Noel had suggested) to automate the push to production, this might be an effective way to keep the commons web site both up to date and recoverable.

Can gump help us do this? Is there any way, using gump and maven cleverness, that we can separate the site generation from the integration build? If we could do that, we could leave jakarta-commons alone (just add ant-based descriptors for the missing projects) and create jakarta-commons-site just to do the site build.

Phil

Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

Mark,

Have you thought about enlisting the help of Gump for the manual effort
here? We are trying to allow Gump to be able to use Maven (instead of Ant)
for projects that prefer builds this way. We are making progress (with the
mechanics) but [don't know if you've read the list/archive] the main
sticking point seems to be group/artefact ids (something you know plenty
about.)

Can you outline what you finally resolved to concerning what the artifact/group ids should be for gump builds which use maven?

If you are interested, Gump ought be able to make this task a bit easier on
you, and automatically (nightly or more) do fresh runs (in clean
environments) for you.

Just a thought.

regards

Adam

I'm just mostly unsure where to begin with getting with the Gump. I suspect we would register each project with gump and let them get built separately?

-Mark