Oleg,

> * Initially I based my server code on NIO because one thread per
> connection (most of which would stay idle most of the time) was kind of
> luxury I could not afford. I after having spent a few days writing code
> I came to the point where I needed to plug in SSL. To my dismay I found
> out that SSL was not NIO enabled in Java 1.4 (SSLSocketChannel planned
> for 1.5). If you intend to target Java 1.4 and be able to use SSL, NIO
> appears out of question.

Yeah this is a very sad point indeed.  Luckily I can focus on other things
until SSL arrives and 1.5 is the standard production JDK in prominence.  The
more I think about it the more I get depressed however I would not let this
steer us away for sticking close to NIO.  It has the standard selection
mechanism we need.  If forced to we should be able to implement a
SSLSocketChannel for 1.4 no?

Alex