Sounds like a good addition / enhancement to the serial generators to me.  You are
correct.  Only the UUID and SessionIdGenerators will be unique across instances.

Phil

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Oliver Zeigermann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Thu 5/13/2004 1:05 AM
        To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
        Subject: [Sandbox Id] How to persist?

        Commons Id Folks!

        I have noticed your project and currently make an effort to bring among
        other stuff a file backed up sequence class into the sandbox. Now it
        occurs to me it would fit much better into your Id approach as it seems
        your Generator data is not persisted which means it will no longer be
        unique when you restart (except for the UUID Generators). Is that
        correct. If so, it could offer a fail-safe implementation for persisting
        that data, i.e. unless the file system itself crashes the sequence will
        not be corrupted either.

        Interested?

        Oliver