Hi,
At least with log4j 1.1, I don't think we should bother.  Log4j 1.1 was
last released in June 2001.  From the messages on the log4j development
and log4j user lists, as well as related lists like tomcat-user, no one
is using log4j 1.1.  Everyone is using 1.2, and the vast, VAST majority
is using 1.2.8, the latest stable release (which in itself is more than
a year old, release February 2003).

It'd be easy to do conditional stuff, as Joran for example is completely
new in log4j 1.3, with Ant's <available> tasks and related conditionals.

That said, we in the log4j space are working to make 1.3
binary-compatible with 1.2, so hold off for now ;)  The classes that
have been removed were deprecated for more than a year, and this is a
major release for log4j, so it might not end up being binary-compatible
however.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

Ant's
>own
>build file uses them (along with <available and such to do some pretty
>slick
>conditional compilation.
>
>regards,
>
>Adam