There are two areas that I see commons as poor at achieving - release early
release often and dependencies. The code itself is generally very good
(despite what some might say).

[lang] is an example of this. It has needed a release for some time, if only
to fix some of the glaring bugs in 2.0. It has also had changes applied to
it that increase dependencies.

I know that many reading this don't get my point here. Perhaps if I used the
word coupling instead that would help? In the Validate case, there is no
need for Validate to be coupled to StringUtils and ArrayUtils. It wasn't in
its original design, I was just reverting code back to 2.0.

This extends to other packages - ideally, no subpackage within lang should
depend on another. We won't achieve that, but it should be a basic goal. (It
should be noted that in [collections] I introduced more
dependencies/coupling between classes in v3.0 and it has since been shown to
be a Bad Thing)

As I've tried to explain elsewhere, [lang] is not one jar file but many. It
is a place where these tiny pieces of code can be grouped together and
looked after, because even smaller projects tend not to work. After all, we
ought to be able to create an exception jar, or an enums jar, or a validate
jar if we wanted.

Finally, it should be noted that [lang] has about 30 open calls, and many
are valid. This suggests a wide user base who want this component supported
and improved. The issue for us is more to do with [lang] satisfying our own
personal isues already, so we don't feel motivated to do anything about it -
its not our itch any more. But somehow, we need to at least get 2.1 out,
then take it from there.

[lang] is actually a great achievement, as almost certainly the most widely
used library of its type. Lets not loose that achievement.

Stephen