Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
> DBCP 1.1 was also compiled with JDK1.4 so I think we're safe for now.

> I don't follow the f(T) thing.

Example:

  JDK 1.3 has:  public synchronized StringBuffer append(Object obj)
  JDK 1.4 adds: public synchronized StringBuffer append(StringBuffer sb)

The following code:

        sb.append(new StringBuffer("Foo"));

works in JDK 1.4 when compiled by JDK 1.3 or JDK 1.4, but will NOT work in
JDK 1.3 if compiled with JDK 1.4.  See the problem?

> Does the James or tomcat group do a JDK1.3 compatibility check?

James releases are compiled with IBM JDK 1.3.1, so at least our compiled
code should be good, but I don't know that we're doing enough to test
pre-compiled dependencies.  Normally I use JDK 1.4.2 to run the code, but I
can do testing with IBM JDK 1.3.1.  I don't know what Tomcat does.

        --- Noel