It seems that the vendors are (indirectly) controlling this situation in commons now anyway. I believe that Websphere still only runs on 1.3, so that's the limiting factor as far as JDK versions go -- or else people who use Websphere can't use [collections].

I tried JBoss 3.2.4 the other day and it runs on 1.5 (3.2.3 didn't.) As far as I know, the latest version of Jonas doesn't run on 1.5.
I'm not sure about the other servers.

I think a branch, or as you suggested, a completely separate project may be the best way to go here. This may be a good thing to
discuss for commons as a whole, because it's a complicated situation and no solution seems apparent, other than not using 1.5 features at all. There are wide-spreading new syntax features other than generics (varargs, autoboxing, enums) in 1.5 that seem very nice.

But I don't really have the time or the energy for such a thing right now anyway, and I want to spend some time learning how to use the new features before I start abusing them.

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
While release 3.1 is being tidied up (still time to vote ;-), I thought I'd
just put out a note about JDK1.5.

One of the key enhancements in JDK1.5 is generics which allows typed classes
using the angle bracket notation. The biggest area this impacts is
collections. Clearly questions have to be raised as to how this affects
[collections].

So far, I have done no work to see if [collections] will compile under
JDK1.5. My expectation is that it will, but there are no guarantees.

To take full advantage of generics will involve a considerable rewrite of
[collections]. It will affect every class, and produce a version that only
compiles on JDK1.5. I have no doubt that Sun spent many mandays changing the
JDK classes to achieve this update.

Personally, I have no plans to update [collections] to JDK1.5 (no itch, too
much effort). If anyone else does, feel free to come in and either change
[collections], or (more likely) create a new [collections15] project.

Stephen