Doing the setControlEncoding would be wonderful, I have recompiled the
code doing what you suggested and it does work, but I um can't use it
because its not an official release :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel F. Savarese [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 9:46 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: Commons-net.FTPClient

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Cohen
writes:
>Sorry I missed your earlier post.  The answer is, unfortunately, that
>the package does not support the easy conversion to UTF-8.

If he needs to change the encoding for the control connection, he can
recompile the source with FTP.__DEFAULT_ENCODING redefined.  If it is a
common requirement to use multi-byte character encodings on the control
connection, we can add a setControlEncoding or some such method and/or
make the control input and output reader/writers protected.
There may be some way for telnet (the FTP control connection) to
autonegotiate the character encoding, but there's no reason to believe
FTP servers dealing in UTF-8 or other multi-byte encodings implement a
negotiation.

daniel