I agree entirely with your argument. I would feel more comfortable with 0 to n-1.

-Mark

Kim van der Linde wrote:
Hi All,

I ran into a problem with the RealMatrixImpl class. The class is designed such that it uses the default 1 to n counting for the rows and columns. However, JAVA has as a default the 0 tot n-1 system. i now run into the problem that some standard methods return an array of n (0 tot n-1) while the methods require n+1 cells. I could of course write a method to create a n+1 array, but I do not see much problems with using the 0 to n-1 system of Java for the matrices. However, I could be completly wrong. BTW, I saw that the JAMA packages uses the underlying JAVA indexes, not the 1 to n system.

I have no problem changing all the methods if you all agree that we should change it....

Cheers,

Kim

-- Mark Diggory Software Developer Harvard MIT Data Center http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu