Alex,

>Very interesting...  almost sounds like a generalized cocoon or
>something.  I like how you are building up using protocol transports to
>pump stuff in and out of this.  It's definately a nice high level
>example of what can be done with pipelining and a juicy set of
>connectors.

Exactly - a "generalized Cocoon" was almost exactly what I was thinking of.
I like Cocoon's architecture
- what I would like to see is an even more generic implementation, utilizing
async. processing, and with
a generalized connector capability, so the endpoints could be
HTTP/FTP/JMS/SOAP/JDBC, or even ERP/CMS systems,
via  a JCA-type capability. The pipeline is there to transform and massage
the data along the way, and ideally,
if there was some sort of workflow or process definition protocol, the
pipeline could have the capability
to "branch" at certain points. The pipeline stages may have a generic "hook"
for custom code, and may be reusable,
so a rich workflow could be built up quickly. Again, I'm using WebMethods
Integration for inspiration here - it's
fantastic, and I haven't seen anything in the OSS sphere that goes down
exactly the same route.

Thanks for the link to Coconut, I'll check it out!

Cheers,
Rory