Hi,
As long as the default usage and implementation don't have to know
anything about JMX, and don't have to incur performance penalties
because of the JMX instrumentation, that's cool.

You could put the things in a subpackage, e.g.
org.apache.commons.dbcp.mbeans or whatever.  There's no restriction to
prevent that.

Judging from http://www.apache.org/~jim/committers.html you're not a
committer anyhow, so you would post your contributions to Bugzilla and a
committer (probably Dirk as he's been the most active person for Pool
and DBCP) will evaluate them before committing them, modifying them in
the process if need be.  That's not a bad thing: it means you will hear
back if you flount an Apache convention (which is unlikely, so don't
worry about it) ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.