I don't think they should be split. If it is a library for helping the input/output of XML why separate these into separate projects. Lets not get carried away with small functional libraries. There should be a limit to the size, purpose. I mean there has to come a point where the overhead of a new subproject isn't worth the benefit of the logical separation of otherwise related classes.

If the library is
1) not a parser
2) not an XML marshaller
3) not an xml ingester (like digester)
4) not a bean serializer

but rather a utility for inputing and outputting XML documents (augmenting SAX with callbacks).

Then it needs a name that reflects that. I believe the only name I've heard so far that doesn't make me think of one of the above is "xmlutil", but then again that will open up the project to be the home of other xml utility classes beyond input and output. Is this a goal of the project? Perhaps it should be.

I suggest taking the name "xmlutil" and growing this to an XML utility library - in the same family as beanutil, collection, lang, etc. Input and output of XML documents is just one utility that can be offered.

- Mike

Gary Gregory wrote:

[xml-in] and [xml-out]

?