Well, you guys can hash out the detail. I just wanted to say Thank You for your work on this. It is much easier to follow along (whether a bug report or custom search) with prefixes on the subject/summary.

Thanks again!

-- James Mitchell Software Engineer / Open Source Evangelist EdgeTech, Inc. 678.910.8017 AIM: jmitchtx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Emmanuel Bourg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: Bug report normalization

Martin Cooper wrote:

I'm sure this has done wonders for the utility of the mailing list archives...

I'm not trying to justify myself but the mail archives are already spammed by the CVS commits and the GUMP reports... Reading the archive is definitely not the best way to follow the discussions on the list for an external user.

If you really had to do this, it would have been a much better idea to
request that the mailer for Bugzilla changes was turned off while you
did it.

Good idea but this would have affected the other Apache projects using Bugzilla. Maybe deleting the "assign to" field for the jakarta commons bugs only before the changes and restoring it after would have worked.

Who knows how many poor individuals have been spammed with
off-list notifications just because they were kind enough to submit
bug reports?

Worse is the fact that these changes do nothing to solve the problem
going forward. Most people will still submit bug reports without the
component in the subject. The real solution would be to modify the
template used for sending out the messages in the first place, so that
the component name is included. Of course, if we do this now, the
component name would be included in the subject twice...

Good point, maybe we could update the jakarta bug page (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/bugs.html) or put a similar page at the jakarta-commons level explaining the prefered form for bug reports (component name in brackets, test case appreciated, etc...)

Emmanuel Bourg