On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:05:16 -0800, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:11:00 -0500, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Eric Pugh wrote:
> > > I'd guess that the JSF jar's are not distributable on IBiblio,
> > > just like the JavaMail ones?
> >
> > Check the license, but if it is the SBCL, then the restriction applies.
> > This would be a good reason to use MyFaces, of course.  :-)
> >
> > Martin Cooper wrote:
> >
> > > One alternative, I suppose, might be to get the MyFaces jars up on
> > > ibiblio and build against that instead. The lesser of two evils?
> >
> > Excuse me?  Why did MyFaces become any evil at all?
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean that MyFaces is evil per se. ;-) The options appear to
> be:
>
> 1) Change the build to compile against a copy of the JSF RI that has
> been downloaded "out of band". Not sure how we do this in a way that
> the path used works for everyone.

It would be really nice if the generated build.xml produced by Maven
would allow Ant property replacements for the paths to all the
dependencies, instead of hard coding them, so you could just define
your exceptions in a local build.properties file.

> 2) Change the build to compile against MyFaces instead of the RI. The
> only problems I can see with this is are (a) it might be less than
> obvious to some people (who don't care about Chain and JSF) what
> MyFaces is and why it's needed; and (b) MyFaces, as I understand it,
> is an extension of the JSF JSR, so conceivably, Chain could end up
> depending on extensions if we're not compiling against the RI. (I
> honestly don't know how real that scenario is.)

MyFaces is more than one thing, but the most important part for our
purposes is an implementation of the spec (the other part is a JSF
component library, which is not relevant for the purposes of compiling
Chain).  In turn, this implementation is split into API classes and
implementation classes (just like the RI does it), so it would be
really easy to make this sort of change.

Craig