At one time we had all sorts of abstraction somewhere in there..  I think
for example JNDIConfiguration supported "removing" properites by holding
them in a temporary list of properties that had been removed.  If
getProperty() found that the list had a property with that name, then it
returned null, otherwise it called getPropertyDirect which ACTUALLY returned
the property.

Icky, I know, and getting rid of it has my earnest +1!   Just the
similiarity of the names always seemed like a code smell to me.

Eric