Oliver Zeigermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Jakarta Commons is so huge that I'd be +1 to make it a TLP.

What? Jakarta-Commons or commons-sql?

+0 to jakarta-commons going TLP

-1 to commons-sql

-0 to put common-sql directly into DB

I skimmed the commons-sql code a bit and IMHO this needs
incubation. The code sat in the CVS for quite a while until recently a
few people started hacking on it.

The structure is quite similar to some of the SQL generation parts of
the torque-generator so limiting this project to SQL generation would
IMHO be a bad move.

I fact, commons-sql could even be split into multiple parts:

- a data model (currently focused on database, table, column)

- a templating backend that builds output files from the data
  model (currently commons-sql just builds SQL files; the
  torque-generator can build SQL files and source for Torque and OJB)

- a driver which controls the generation process. There is a
  limited driver with the Texen part of Velocity

In fact, only the implementation of the first two parts is really DB
scope.

commons-sql IMHO must show into which direction it wants to
evolve:

- Being an abstract data model for a database (then we lack things
  like sequence or view representations) which can be used in things
  like a code or SQL generator

- Being an SQL code generator, thus omitting the possible distinction

- Being an all-purpose SQL swiss knife.

In any case, IMHO it should go through incubation.

        Regards
                Henning

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

What is more important to you...