--- Richard Sitze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Simon Kitching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/15/2004 10:18:44
>
> PM:

> be
> heavy-duty
> application
> *failure*
> able

> critical

> it is

> source
> "be
> would do
> exception
> > >
> > > Why not just introduce a boolean parameter that says whether or not
> an
>
> > > inability to log is a failure?  e.g.
> > >
> > > Log log = LogFactory.getLog(MyClass.class, true);
> >
> > It's not "inability to log" as such. It's whether finding no specific
> > config info or underlying log implementation and therefore falling
> back
> > to using java.util.logging (java>=1.4) or
> > org.apache.commons.logging.SimpleLog (java<1.4) is allowed or not.
> >
> > In many cases, what you *want* an app to do if it can't find any
> > specific logging config is simply to output ERROR and FATAL messages
> > stderr. This is what commons-logging will currently do if its
> > "discovery" process finds nothing.
> >
> > I guess commons-logging *could* use a parameter such as you suggest to
> > indicate "explicit configuration of logging is mandatory". This would
> > presumably mean detecting whether commons-logging.properties or the
> > corresponding system properties have defined an explicit log
> > implementation and config file for that implementation.
> >
> > I'm not sure, however, if the decision on whether logging is mandatory
> > or not should be a compile-time one. It seems to me to be more like
> > something the application *deployer* should choose. That then leads us
> > to a circular reference: how do we know whether configuration is
> > mandatory or not, if we can't find any configuration?
>
> The current proposal is:
>
> - configuration is always manditory.

Doesn't mandatory configuration relieve us from needing to split
commons-logging.jar into several pieces?  I like the fact that I don't
have to manage multiple commons-logging jar files and will be rather
dissapointed if that is required in the future.  I wouldn't mind having a
simple properties file or a system property like
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.impl=log4j that tells commons-logging to use
log4j.

David