Add, externals definitions to that list.

Assume that /jakarta/commons/proper/current is just a directory with
externals to every trunk for components in commons proper, and
/jakarta/commons/sandbox/current is just a directory with externals to
every trunk for sandbox components.  I could also see someone wanted to
checkout only the current production release of every component, we
could similarly have a /jakarta/commons/proper/production which would
contain externals pointing to the latest official release tag.

See section 7.3 "External Definitions" of Version Control with
Subversion by Collins-Sussman, Fitzpatrick, and Pilato.  You can read
that book on Safari or online for free here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/.