<snip/>
> > an application using 1.x.b will work with component 1.x.a
> > Does this sound reasonable? Missed something?
>
> Have you seen the guidelines in use by the Apache APR project?  It looks
> to me like you're basically advocating the same system they have in
> place.  It might save us hassle to just adopt their version numbering
> system whole-sale (as the Spring Acegi Security subs(ystem does)
>
> http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

Very funny - looks pretty identical to me ;-) So, yes, let's adopt this.
I've not played around with classloading a lot, so I'm very curious if this
will work. I'll try to start working on this if I'll find the time for it.
If you are interested I could setup an account for you at my personal root
server (I've installed Subversion). Or should I create a subproject in the
commons-sandbox?
As it's in stage of brainstorming I'd prefer to do it in my personal space
first.
Are you interested?

Cheers,
Daniel