I think your confusing the commons IO submission with the Struts SessionObject submission, but no big deal, I know which your talking about :)

My thoughts are this... if an object could ever be put in session, it should be serializable unless you have a real good reason not to. The reson is that since most (all?) session replication implementations in a distributed environment depend on objects being serializable, even if I'm not now working in a distributed environment it'll just save me hassle down the road to know I can play in such an environment. If your classes aren't ever stored in session, it's probably not a concern, but then again, why not be sure it COULD be used in session? So, for me, I always look to make my classes serializable, regardless of how they will be used. Sometimes it may not be possible, but I try.

-- Frank W. Zammetti Founder and Chief Software Architect Omnytex Technologies http://www.omnytex.com

Dakota Jack wrote:
Good work!  And, settle down!  ;-)  LOL  More directly, I understand
why, of course, the restriction on serializable is there, but it
really cramps how I could use this.  My work is generally not J2EE,
even though everything is called "J2EE" now, so I have a lot of
classes that are not serializable.  I need to think through carefully
whether or not I should be paying more attention to that.  Any
thoughts on this?

Jack