On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:49:45 +0100, Ceki Gülcü <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 03:05 AM 12/27/2004, Charles Daniels wrote:
>
> >If I understand the JCL discovery mechanism correctly, it actually
> >should work just fine in the scenario you describe above.  For it to
> >work, you would not set the org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory system
> >property, because, as you pointed out, system properties are JVM-wide.
> >Rather, for individual applications to use distinct underlying logging
> >implementations, you can simply place a commons-logging.properties file
> >in each application context (in WEB-INF/classes), setting the
> >org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory property as appropriate in each
> >distinct commons-logging.properties file.  Since these properties files
> >will be loaded via distinct context class loaders, each application can
> >use distinct logging implementations.
>
> Good point. This will require some understanding by the user about the
> classloader delegation mechanism used by the app server, which varies
> from vendor to vendor or even from version to version of an app server
> by the same vendor.  Nevertheless, I stand corrected.

Given that making web applications self-contained, such that
everything required by the app is incorporated in the war file, is a
standard "best practice", I don't think there will be that much of a
need to educate people further with respect to class loader mechanisms
in order to understand how to use logging properly.

--
Martin Cooper