Henri Yandell wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:14:36 -0500, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Henri Yandell wrote:

Not a huge issue for things like Lang which have no dependencies, but
for other things like Digester I think it would be a lot better if the
binary tar.gz contained the jars it depends on?

Just my HO, but to me that defeats the purpose of
ibiblio/java-repository. It also bloats distros and adds to the
effective contract of the distro and responsibility of the RM needlessly
(Would doing this effectively require us to store whatever jars were
grabbed at release time in cvs/svn?)

Nope. The jars come from the ibiblio/java-repo at dist-time.

That's what I mean. The release would depend on jars grabbed from external sources at dist-time. Some would argue that everything necessary to generate the release distribution should be under revision control, so the exact contents of the release could be reproduced (or verified) at a later time by checking out the tagged sources and rebuilding.

A maven user would still use it in the same way, but maven users do not use the tar.gz distributions, they use the jars in the repos.

I may be in the minority here, but I have never liked the "bundle all
dependencies for convenience" approach -- either as a user or as a
developer.  As a user, I am never sure exactly what I am getting "in the
bundled version"  <cut>

dependencies/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
dependencies/commons-beanutils-1.7.jar

<cut> I understand that for complex products like
 struts or tomcat, it may be impractical *not* to bundle dependencies;
but I do not see it as necessary for commons components.

If I download the digester.tar.gz, I then need to download the
logging.tar.gz and the beanutils.tar.gz.

Personally, I do not see this as a big deal. Our mirrors are fast :-) Maven handles it all seamlessly and for ant builds or web app deployments, you generally want to place the jars manually anyway.

Phil

Hen