- Windows, (Sun's?) JDK 1.4.2 _06, memory usage of about 2.4 Mb

I have a felling this garbage collects far less often. I also have a GB of RAM, so it probably didn't feel it had to. Try System.gc() before calling the *Memory() functions.

Oh, I see that you did have rt.gc() ;)

I don't know what was going on. I've tried again and now get:
INFO: Memory test completed, memory "leaked": 62648

On JDK 1.5.0:
INFO: Memory test completed, memory "leaked": -14272

hmmm....

Do maven experts have an easy way for me in maven to run a unit test with profiling option -Xprof on ?

I think its
maven.junit.fork=true
maven.junit.jvmargs=-Xprof

Try the test plugin properties reference.

Cheers,
Brett