Well I've had a few days to cool off, and my head feels better too.

I acknowledge that there are problems with the discovery process in JCL.
We aim to fix that, it is one of the tenants of what is being proposed for
JCL version 'next'.

I wish it were as simple to resolve these issues in the more difficult
environments [of which J2EE is a prime example], so the bottom line is
that the UGLI solution doesn't *solve* the problems, it just doesn't
complain as much... which admittedly might be considered a step forward
depending on your point of view [silently operate in an unexpected manner
vs. loudly proclaiming that a problem exists].  For JCL 'next' I'm looking
for something of a middle ground that really solves the problems... all of
them [alternate notes have/will discuss this].

I'm thrilled that Log4J mapped their interface to an independent
interface.  I'm sorry we couldn't coordinate that better between Log4J and
JCL "way back" before JCL 1.0.  What concerns me is that we have competing
"abstractions" that are intended to be layered above interfaces.

I also recognize the value of an interface not "tied" to Log4J, that we
can grow forward and continue to layer above the implementations.

So... let me toss out a not-so-random thought, and let's see how we all
feel about this after some discussion:  Can we bring these two together?
Ceki, would your team be willing to make some concessions in the UGLI
implementation, in the interest of supporting a common abstraction?
Thoughts include:

- Leaving JCL 1.0.x alone... and retiring it altogether in favor of an
UGLI based approach.
- Adopting the UGLI "style" interface as the base interface.
- Layering in the JCL Log methods [support backwards compatibility] as
"deprecated" methods where they differ from the UGLI interface?
- We proposed a "separate jar file per impl" approach, in line with yours,
to help minimize the JCL problems for JCL 'next'... so we're in sync with
the fundamental advantages that offers
- Adopting a more sophisticated discovery that allows the "separate jar
file per impl" approach to work in a defined way for class hierarchies
[such as J2EE] that might include multiple/different UGLI jar files [and
yes, I'm talking about a *FIXED* process, not the current broken process].
- Log4J MUST be willing to accept extentions to UGLI [via interfaces that
extend] that might go over and beyond the Log4J native supported methods
[i.e., open to the types of discussions that are occuring now with JCL].
If I'm out of line here, set me straight.. but Ceki I still see Log4J as
being under your thumb, and there are others in the community with valid
differences of opinions that are looking for a voice.  I'd like to point
out that the JCL interface has been rigid, we've resisted change, and are
only recently proposing any new change as extensions... I don't see this
being a common occurance.

<dream on>
In short, can we merge these two in one fashion or another, and still
accomplish our goals?
<dream off>

<ras>