Definitely a performance difference, but it's not all one way.

Updates and Commits for lots of files seems to be a lot quicker,
whereas for a single file is slower. jakarta-site2 was really becoming
a slow pain; I suspect the number of revisions on a file made it
slower in CVS.

Then there's the local stuff like svn revert, svn status, svn info
that don't use the network at all. They're much quicker :)

Hen