Mario Ivankovits wrote:
But this has several drawbacks, among them:
  * No automatic cleanup on exit as with File.deleteOnExit()

Yes - and in my opinion thats ok so. If you run VFS in an WebApp environment the next "exit" might be very long in the future. And even then, if the jvm crashes or is killed chances are good the files were not deleted.

Sorry, not for application code, for unit test code. I never use deleteOnExit() in production code -- that would be silly. :-)

* Smells hacky

You are right with the need to generate a UUID. Might it help if we introduce a method to always create a new filesystem regardless if there is already one cached. That way, you could always create a new empty TempFS.

Hmmm, but why dont you use the new RamFS ;-)

Yah, yah. Not there yet. :-) But this is a good point.

Have you run across any good tree implementations? (I don't, of course, mean TreeMap.)

Cheers, --binkley