On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:57:10 -0000, Stephen Colebourne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: "Henri Yandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >> For other projects I do, I build the jar file, source
> >> and binary dists using ant. I do this using an old JDK
> >> (1.3, although perhaps it should even be 1.2). I also
> >> use this same jar file to upload to ibiblio. I do NOT
> >> use maven - it uses the wrong JDK and I don't trust it
> >> enough.
> >
> > How can it use the wrong JDK? Is Maven 1.4+ nowadays or something?
>
> Last time I tried, it only worked on 1.4. For something as important as

Erk. You're absolutely right.

Under 1.2 it fails due to the lack of Collections.EMPTY_MAP
(introduced in 1.3). A new install of 1.3 is giving me libstdc++
errors, which makes it too painful to try with, but I bet that dies
for some reason or other too.

Sorry for arguing about it.

> compiling code I want to be able to see and understand what it is doing, not
> cross my fingers and leave it up to a magic black box.

It's a trust thing for both of us.

The difference being, I've got trust in the standard Maven process
that I use every day, and surprise at seeing a custom written
build.xml; while you trust your custom build.xml over Maven's black
box.

> > I've always used Maven on Commons projects (when mavenized) because I
> > don't have to worry about whether the custom Ant script is
> > sufficiently customised (or evne up to date as most are generated from
> > Maven). Afaik, only Collections still used a custom Ant file.
>
> If true, then thats unfortunate.

grep 'generated by maven' */build.xml gives me 14 hits out of 34, so
nowhere near as much as I thought.

> > I'd prefer to separate this concept completely. Have a completely
> > seperate way of storing and managing the javadoc, maybe even go as far
> > as to check said javadoc into the repository (not necessarily inside
> > Lang), or just copying the docs/apidocs over to an official place,
> > rather than inside Lang.
>
> Well, all I know is that for Joda-Time it works very neatly, and its just a
> variation on what we have for [collections].

I'll redo it with Ant and see if things get better.

Hen