Okay...

I have fixed the NOTICE.txt in the jar at the top level not being in the
META-INF.  However, I can't seem to get the NOTICE.txt in the top level
of either the src or binary distributions.  The postGoal in commons
build here doesn't seem to run.  No xdocs, no jars, no NOTICE.txt...:

  <postGoal name="dist:prepare-src-filesystem">
    <j:set var="maven.dist.src.assembly.dir"
value="${pom.getPluginContext('maven-dist-plugin').getVariable('maven.di
st.src.assembly.dir')}" />

    <!-- Copy Files -->
    <ant:copy todir="${maven.dist.src.assembly.dir}">
      <ant:fileset dir=".">
        <ant:include name="NOTICE.txt"/>
      </ant:fileset>
    </ant:copy>

    <!-- Copy Jars -->
    <ant:copy todir="${maven.dist.src.assembly.dir}">
      <ant:fileset dir="${maven.build.dir}">
        <ant:include name="*.jar"/>
      </ant:fileset>
    </ant:copy>

    <!-- Copy XDocs -->
    <ant:copy todir="${maven.dist.src.assembly.dir}/xdocs">
      <ant:fileset dir="xdocs" />
    </ant:copy>

  </postGoal>

To what extent is the NOTICE.txt a mandatory requriement?  TO me, it
looks just like the LICENSE.txt...

And, in the interests of finally getting a release out, especially since
we have the required +1 votes, can I just add the file by hand?  Icky, I
know, but...

Eric