Application frameworks can assist in this endeavor by including their
own shutdown logic for the libraries that the framework itself depends
on.  For example, last night I added the following to the shutdown
logic for Shale:

    CatalogFactory.clear();
    PropertyUtils.clearDescriptions();
    LogFactory.release(Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader());

and the same thing needs to be added into Struts 1.x.

Actually, Struts 1.3 ActionServlet has been doing all of these since early February.

The 1.2 branch was already playing nice with LogFactory; I just added PropertyUtils.clearDescriptors().

The CatalogConfiguratorPlugIn in the 1.2 branch of the sandbox was already correctly calling CatalogFactory.clear().

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex