Rami Ojares wrote:

So where are the files stored?

The FileReplicator creates a "vfs_cache" directory and takes care of its content.

Do they get deleted when vfs closes.

Yes, but only if you tell VFS to close e.g.
((DefaultFileSystemManager) VFS.getManager()).close();
Oh, boy - how do you to this? How do you find all those stinky nooks? ;-)

Or when jvm closes?

Nope!
Before you ask - No, I dont want to use deleteFileOnExit function - we already discussed it.
But what I can do is to implement a shutdown-hook and try to cleanly shutdown VFS then.

what if jvm crashes?

Bad luck! ;-)

Now that I have been sipping some italian red wine I am ready to get emotional.

I go green with envy!

What do you mean by integration?
Integrate into what?
The point is that it does not offer any capabilities that are not already provided by vfs. So i does not give any further integrative possibilities.

Yes, yes and yes, you might be right with all you say, but ... now we have it. And I think the main intention was to allow ftp and http (read-onl) access on systems where no commons-net or httpclient available, though do not know how well it works.

You and I do not use it, and do not like it ... good, our point of view. Again - now we have it and there is no need to remove it - we wont be bothered.

Further this "let's embrace everything" attitude will take vfs into the world of yet another universal whatever.

As you might have seen I implemented the plugin-resolve-stuff.
Now we could extend VFS by simply drop a jar into the classpath and if we find a /META-INF/vfs-plugins.xml it would be added.

That way we could keep the VFS core slim and could provide extension jars to allow whatever we can think of.

I think this is a good compromise.

And also note that filesystem model is very simple hierarchical model. So we should not see it as the ultimate way to model and interact with data.

No one do, do we?
But I already talked about, think of accessing your mailfolder through an "imap" provider and your mailcontent through an "mime" provider.

e.g. mime:imap://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/INBOX/mail9012718!/part1.txt

Sooner or later, this might happen ... and why not - its cool, isnt it?
Now that we have the plugin stuff we could do it without bloating the core.

---
Mario